5 Ways I Stay Motivated in School!

February 23, 2018


School. School can either be the best thing in the world or the most draining thing... As a Type A person, I love school because it keeps me occupied and I have a set schedule everyday. However, school can sometimes get the best of me. As a history major, all I do is write paper after paper after paper. There was one point last semester where within the span of 1 month, I had to do 13 papers and assignments. Crazy right?

So, in order to keep myself from going insane, I have a few motivation tips to get me ready to succeed!

1. Move out of your room to study!

Studying out of my room was probably one of the best things I could ever decide to do. When I'm in my room sitting on my bed or at my desk trying to do work, it actually ends up not being productive. I'll put on my string of twinkly lights and salt lamp to get in the mood to do work, however, I'll end up going on Pinterest, online shopping or even taking a nap! This is because my room is mainly used to be a relaxation point and for me to escape from the stresses of school. So, when it's time for me to do work, I end up doing something else instead.

So, my best suggestion is to go to the library or find another cozy spot to study on campus. I personally like the library because it's usually really quiet and I can get in my own ZONE to get work done. Even though the main library is a long-ish walk from my dorm, it's totally beneficial! 


2. Make a calendar!

As I stated above, I'm a Type A person, which means if I don't have an organized calendar I would probably go insane. However, even if I wasn't a Type A, I would still make one because I find it super helpful! 

I prefer to use my Apple calendar on my laptop because it's easily at my disposal and I ONLY use my calendar to track my daily events (so no school work). I have a separate planner to write down all of my school assignments. I think it's beneficial to have two separate calendars for events and assignments because it keeps my mind separated from my two types at school...social and academic. 


3. Use Post-it Notes!

Whether it's real Post-It notes or sticky notes online, they will always be helpful to remember reminders and due dates!

I use both real and online Post-It notes. I use real ones to put in my planner usually to make a to-do list of things I have to get done through out the week. Then, I also use Apple Stickies for my laptop and those I use strictly for upcoming due dates. I normally put my Apple Stickies right on the side of my home screen so as soon as I open my laptop, I see my due dates and I don't procrastinate to get them done!


4. Take needed breaks!

I'm not one who can just sit down and study for hours and hours on end. So, I need to keep breaks to keep me sane. I normally stick to the 25-5 rule! This rule means I study for 25 minutes with NO distractions (yes that means putting my phone away!) then take a 5 minute break after; then I keep repeating the cycle. After the 3rd time I took a 5 minute break, I usually take a 30 minute break to eat and relax.

I always find taking breaks to be really helpful, especially when I'm writing essays or studying for a test. There is a certain point where all of the information starts to mush together and I'm not writing as effectively as I can. So, taking breaks when needed is really helpful when my brain needs to recharge. 



5. Take pretty and colorful notes!

Taking pretty and colorful notes really motivates me while I'm trying to study for a while. Since I'm not an artist whatsoever, I usually lean more toward the color notes side.

I normally pick a color to use for the day as my titles and headings, use black to write my actual notes then highlight any really important info. I find this method super helpful because it brings out more of my creative side when I'm trying to study and it's easy to find information I'm looking for when I go back to review. 

I hope those few tips helped you get some ideas on how to stay motivated in school. After years of trying to master a good studying method down, I feel like this is the best for me and it helps me succeed the most!

-Jenna




1 comment

  1. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz
    t-shirt design ideas

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Forever Prepster. Design by FCD.